Parents also "play" a valuable role in this "work." Putting aside your own priorities and focusing solely on playing with your child sends him vital life messages. To a child, time with you equals love. Focusing your attention and being directly involved in an activity with him says, without words: "I care." "You are special." "I value you." "You are worth my time and attention." These messages help to form the core of a child's self-esteem.
Other reasons to play with your child:
- Playing with your child can boost your child's chances of succeeding in school.
- Playing can enhance your child's vocabulary and IQ.
- Playing can boost your child's emotional IQ.
- Playing can improve a child's motivation and lead to a greater performance in school.
- Playing with your child can connect you emotionally.
- Playing can make life less stressful.
- Playing can help put learning into context.
Will You Play With Me?